Savour the flavours of this citrus and white wine marinated chicken. For best results, prep your chicken the day-before. Pair with a glass of Lightening Rock Chardonnay.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 40 min
Calories: 392 kcal
- One 3-pound chicken
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup grapefruit juice
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp mince ginger
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 4 tbsp minced jalapeno
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorn
- 1 star anise
ORANGE FENNEL SLAW
- 1 large fennel bulb (very thinly sliced)
- 2 medium oranges peeled and segmented
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- ¼ cup picked coriander leaves
- 1 radish thinly sliced (watermelon radish if available)
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced
- Halve the chicken and debone the legs and thighs.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the citrus and ginger and salt. Whisk to make sure the salt is fully dissolved. Place the juice and wine mixture, jalapeño, and shallots in the bowl of a food processor or blender, and lightly pulse to combine until smooth.
- Place the chicken in an airtight container or large zip-lock bag, cover with the marinade then add the whole coriander, black peppercorns and star anise. Place in the refrigerator and allow to sit for 12 hours. After 12 hours, remove the chicken from the marinade and dry on a resting rack in the refrigerator for about another 12 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil grates. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- On a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat, cook chicken to char, about 7 minutes uninterrupted. Transfer charred chicken to a baking sheet and place in the oven until the internal temperature reads 165°F, about 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest at room temperature for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the fennel and orange segments.
- In another bowl whisk together the apple cider vinegar, orange juice, olive oil, sugar, salt, and pepper, until well combined. Pour over the fennel and massage gently with your hands. Let sit to combine while the chicken is resting.
- To serve place a generous amount of fennel slaw on bottom of plate, place chicken on top then garnish with cilantro, radish and jalapeno. Pair with a glass of Lightening Rock Chardonnay.